1. Markham Park is a COLD RANGE. All Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) rules apply.
2. All Firearms will remain UNLOADED except while you are under the direct observation of a Range Officer.
3. Dry Firing at any time is NOT PERMITTED.
4. All loading and unloading will conducted in the designated areas while under the observation of the Loading and Unloading Table Officers.5. Long Guns must have their actions open immediately at the conclusion of each shooting sequence and while carried on the range. When moving Long Guns on the range, the muzzle must be pointing UPWARD and the end of the muzzle must be above your head unless enclosed in a case.
6. Hand Guns must be holstered except when on the firing line, at the loading and unloading tables, in a safety area or at the Shooter’s vehicle. Hand Guns must be must be re-holstered or safely secured in your Gun Cart at the conclusion of the gun’s immediate use unless the stage directions specify otherwise.
7. When Firearms are loaded at the Loading table they will remain on the table until you are called to the firing line. Loaded Firearms are NOT PERMITTED to leave the Loading table or firing line at any time. Violation of this rule will result in a MATCH DISQUALIFICATION.
8. ALL competitors and spectators MUST wear Eye Protection (with wrap-around or side shields) and Hearing protection.
9. Cowboy Action shooting matches are NOT fast-draw competitions. ANY unsafe Firearm handling or fanning of a Firearm will result in a MATCH DISQUALIFICATION.
10. Dropped ammunition will be considered “DEAD” and cannot be picked up until the Shooter is finished shooting the stage.
11. A dropped LOADED Firearm will result in a MATCH DISQUALIFICATION. The shooter will NOT pick up the dropped firearm. A Range Officer will recover the Firearm, unload it, examine it, clear it and return it to the Shooter. A dropped UNLOADED Firearm will result in a STAGE DISQUALIFICATION.
12. No Shooter will have their finger on the trigger of any Firearm until it is is pointed safely down range.
13. Breaking a 170 degree arc relative to the firing line with the muzzle of a LOADED Firearm will result in a MATCH DISQUALIFICATION. Sweeping anyone AT ANY TIME with the muzzle of a LOADED Firearm will result in a MATCH DISQUALIFICATION. Breaking the 170 degree arc or sweeping with an UNLOADED Firearm will result in a STAGE DISQUALIFICATION. If using a Cross Draw Holster, do the Cross Draw Dance.
14. An accidental discharge impacting within 5 feet of the Shooter or in any direction deemed unsafe by the Range Officer will result in a MATCH DISQUALIFICATION.
15. Moving with a COCKED & LOADED Firearm will result in a STAGE DISQUALIFICATION (basketball “traveling” rules apply). When moving to a shooting position with the Shotgun you are not allowed to insert any live shells into a chamber or on the carrier before one foot is planted at the next shooting position. In other words we enforce the “Plant and Poke“ rule.
16. Muzzle control is very important. ALL muzzles must be pointed below the bottom of the Baffles when the Firearm is under your control. Any round hitting a Baffle is considered to be a “round over the berm” and will result in a MATCH DISQUALIFICATION.
17. Minors 12 and under be accompanied by an adult and under their direct supervision at all times.
18. If you need to use the Portable Toilets or go to your vehicle during a match, secure your Pistols in your Gun Cart or place them on the unloading table with the action (loading gate) open.
19. Inter-personal conflicts and the use of Drugs or Alcohol will not be tolerated on this range.